{    Cnytr   }

{Tuesday, August 10, 2004  }


Feast Days: St. Dominic and St. Lawrence


A detail from a Fra Angelico painting whose name I don't know

Should anyone be shocked that I posted nothing commemorating the feast of St. Dominic, I say mea culpa. I was actually scouring my webspace and my hard drive for two pictures I had drawn of St. Dominic. I like to imitate art, and I have one framed sketch I did of St. Dominic at prayer (I used to keep it on top of my liturgy of the hours so I would remember to at least do morning and night prayer) and one of St. Dominic adoring the feet of Christ as in the detail above, a piece of what is probably my favorite Fra Angelico painting.

However, since I was unable to find these, I did not post them. So here is what I ought to have posted on Sunday for the feast of St. Dominic. Truthfully, almost everything you'd never want to know about St. Dominic would be in that link, while a more detailed and less dry account may be found in The Life of St Dominic. Either way, I don't have anything I can add to the story of this great saint that one may not have heard before. I can, however, put forth a poke-in-the-ribs, the reason why I myself desire to be a Dominican:

As you may know, the Dominicans were formed by St. Dominic to combat the heresy of Albigensianism.
As you may also know, the Jesuits were formed by St. Ignatius to combat the heresy of Protestantism.
How many Albigensians have you met today?

;)

And now ... for today's saint, my name-saint, St. Lawrence, deacon and martyr.

I feel fortunate to be named after such a saint whose story exhibits every virtue. When Pope Sixtus was being led away to his death, St. Lawrence approached him and said "where are you going without your servant?" The Pope responded that he would follow in three days.


A Fra Angelico [who incidentally was a Dominican] painting of the aforementioned, whose name I do not know

St. Lawrence is called "the keeper of the treasures of the Church", and indeed he was a great almsgiver and cared for the poor and the sick. When under Emperor Valerian he was commanded to show the treasures of the Church, he brought the Emperor the poor and the sick.

*pause for another unnamed Fra Angelico painting*



Enraged by this, Emperor Valerian ordered him to be burned upon a hot griddle. It is said that while he was being tortured, he responded "turn me over, I am quite well-done on this side!" (Or something to that effect)



From the Mass for the Octave (Apodosis) of Saint Laurence..., Old Sarum Rite Missal, 1998, Saint Hilarion Press:
O Laurence, thou David, thou great-martyr,
Thou mighty warrior and judgment-seat of the Emperor,
Thou didst set at nought the blood-stained hands
Of thy tormentors.
Thou wast a follower of Him Who is desirable and mighty,
Who with His hand alone can conquer the cruel despot’s strongholds,
And Whose love maketh His warriors holy,
And generous with their blood.
Insofar as thou sawest Him in the loss of this present life,
Thou didst scorn the emblems of the Cæsar, and laugh the judge’s threats to scorn.
In vain it is the headsman rendeth thy fingernails,
It is in vain the pyre’s burning thy gridiron doth enfold.
The impious man, the City’s prefect grieveth,
Conquered by a broiled fish—the food of Christ.
This honeycomb of the Lord rejoiceth, living with Him,
Rising again with Him, filled to the full with Christ.
O Laurence, wreathed with laurel amongst warriors,
O unconquerable David of the everlasting King:
Ever entreat with Him to pardon His lowest servants,
O martyr and mighty foot-soldier!


Amen!
posted by Lauren, 11:17 PM

1 Comments:

Nice Fra Angelico! I remember studying him in Art and Arch last year ... oh, and the new site design is not at all bad! But resistance to change is a good thing ...

Take care!

Cheers,
~Robert
commented by Anonymous Anonymous, 2:44 PM  

Post a Comment