{    Cnytr   }

{Tuesday, January 11, 2005  }

.:{From the Old Breviary }:.



some sweet 17th century(?) Flemish(???) painting by some painter... I don't know

Since I actually have some leisure time, who wants to spend it packing? I'd much rather be translating Latin, though I haven't really *seriously* touched Latin in a while (translating the OP proper in my head doesn't count). I was looking for some Ecclesiastical Latin to translate, and I came upon the Office of Readings from the old Breviary, and so since we just had the feast of the Baptism of the Lord, I offer you more of those holy cousins, Our Lord and St. John the Baptist.

From a sermon by St. John Chrysostom:

Cum ad nos advenisset Redemptor nostri generis, venit prótinus ad suum amicum Joánnem, dum adhuc esset in ventre matris. Quem cum ex utero in utero aspéxisset Joánnes, términos natúræ concutiens, exclamat : Video Dóminum, qui natúræ impósuit términos, et non exspecto tempus nascéndi. Novem mensium tempus mihi non est hic necessarium ; in me est enim, qui est æternus. Egrédiar ex hoc tenebroso tabernáculo, rerum admirabílium compendiosam prædicábo cognitiónem. Sum signum : significábo Christi advéntum. Sum tuba : proferam Fílii Dei in carne dispensatiónem. Tuba canam ; eo ipso paternæ linguæ benedícam, et eam traham, ut loquátur. Tuba canam, eo ipso paternæ linguæ benedícam, et eam traham, ut loquátur. Tuba canam, et uterum maternum vivificabo.

When our Redeemer had come to us of our own race, he went at once to his friend John, while as yet in his mother's womb. And when John from the womb beheld the One in the womb, he striking the walls of his natural prison cried out: "I behold my Lord, who gave nature her bounds! And I do not wish to wait for the time of my birth! Is nine months here necessary? For truly he who is Eternal is with me! I would go forth from this dark tabernacle, I shall preach my expansive knowledge of marvellous things! I am the sign: I shall signify the coming of Christ. I am the trumpet, I would make known the dispensation of the Son of God in the flesh. Let me sound forth as a trumpet: let me bless even he of my paternal tongue, and free him that he may speak. Let me sound forth as a trumpet, and enliven my mother's womb!"

From a sermon by St. Ambrose:

Contuéndum est, quia superior venit ad inferiórem, ut inferior adjuvétur : Maria ad Elisabeth, Christus ad Joánnem. Denique etiam póstea, ut sanctificaret baptismum Joánnis, Dóminus venit ad baptismum. Cito quoque adventus Mariæ et præséntiæ divinæ benefícia declarántur. Vide distinctiónem singulorúmque verbórum proprietátem. Vocem prior Elisabeth audívit, sed Joánnes prior gratiam sensit. Illa natúræ ordine audívit, iste exsultávit ratióne mysterii. Illa Mariæ, iste Dómini sensit advéntum. Istæ gratiam loquúntur, illi intus operántur, pietatisque mystérium maternis adoriúntur profectibus ; duplicique miraculo prophetant matres spiritu párvulórum. Exsultávit infans, repleta est mater. Non prius mater repleta, quam fílius ; sed, cum fílius esset repletus Spiritu Sancto, replevit et matrem.

Et unde hoc mihi, ut veniat Mater Dómini mei ad me? Hoc est, Quo tantum bonum mihi accidit, ut mater Dómini mei veniat ad me? Miraculum sentio, agnosco mystérium : Mater Dómini Verbo fœta, Deo plena est. Mansit autem Maria cum illa mensibus tribus, et reversa est in domum suam. Bene inducitur sancta Maria et exhibuisse offícium, et mysticum numerum custodisse. Non enim sola familiaritátis est causa quod diu mansit, sed etiam tanti vátis profectus. Nam, si primo ingressu tantus profectus éxstitit, ut ad salutatiónem Mariæ exsultaret infans in utero, replerétur Spiritu Sancto mater infántis ; quantum putámus usu tanti temporis sanctæ Mariæ addidisse præséntiam? Ungebátur itaque, et quasi bonus athleta exercebátur in utero matris Propheta ; amplissimo enim virtus ejus certámini parabátur.


It must be considered why the superior here comes to the inferior, so that the lesser is helped: Mary comes to Elizabeth, Christ comes to John. And then even after, in order to sanctify the baptism of John, Our Lord comes to be baptized. And the blessings of Mary's coming and the Divine presence are declared at once. See the distinction made, and the particular meaning of every word. Elizabeth was the first to hear Mary's voice, but John was the first to receive the grace. Elizabeth heard Mary by the ordinance of nature, but John rejoiced by the reason of the mystery. Elizabeth percieved the coming of Mary, but John percieved the coming of the Lord. The women spoke grace, but the infants were busied within, and they engaged in the mystery of holiness when their mothers met. And by a twofold miracle, the mothers prophesied with the spirit of their little ones. The infant leapt, and his mother was filled with the Holy Spirit. The mother was not filled before her son but when her son was filled with the Holy Spirit, his mother was filled with the Holy Spirit also.


And whence is this to me, that the Mother of My Lord should come to me? That is, by what does so great a good befall me that the Mother of My Lord should come unto me? I feel the miracle, I acknowledge the mystery: the Mother of my Lord, pregnant with the Word, is filled with God. And Mary remained with her for three months, and returned to her own house. It is well to introduce how holy Mary performed this duty, and guarded her this mystic number (of months). For not only for friendship's sake did she remain for so long a time, but even for the benefit of so great a prophet. For, if the first coming was so great a blessing that at the greeting of Mary the infant leapt within the womb and his mother is filled with the Holy Spirit, *what blessedness must we not deem to have flowed upon him from so long neighbourhood of Mary?* And so a Prophet was annointed, and like a good althete was exercised in the womb of his mother, for his strength was fully prepared for battle.

(note: the part in asterisks was me being lazy and stealing the translation from the old breviary.)
posted by Lauren, 4:38 PM

1 Comments:

2006/08/29
It made me smile to see someone who actually enjoys reading latin, and appreciates the Art of the Church. I am truly envious of your easy use of that complex skill.

As a "starving student", I may have a potential solution that would employ both of those rare talents, and not take (much time from your studies. Maybe even expand them.

I'd like to discuss this possibility with you in private at your soonest convenience,
MamaDragon at Cablelynx.com
commented by Anonymous Kathy C, 7:47 PM  

Post a Comment