{    Cnytr   }

{Tuesday, February 01, 2005  }

.:{John Paul, George (of England) and Ringo (not to be confused with Ringanus)}:.


I unfortunately don't get the chance to visit The Curt Jester as much as I used to, but I was fortunate enough to procrastinate a bit on my Medieval Europe homework to find this brilliant post on the "Beatitudes".

This is not unlike stuff I've thought of before.

Allow me to treat you to my interpretation of "The Word" from the album "Rubber Soul" --

Say the Word [ho logos] and you'll be free [clearly the author is advocating embracing the Word who is the Way, the Life and the Truth because the Truth will set us free]
Say the Word and be like me [indeed, the author himself here confirms his own embracing of the Word made flesh, he shares the "common name", the koinos onomas St. Ignatious of Antioch speaks of in his letter to the Ephesians]
Say the Word I'm thinking of ["Being manifested, that you are the epistle of Christ, ministered by us, and written: not with ink but with the Spirit of the living God: not in tables of stone but in the fleshly tables of the heart." ~2 Cor 3:3]
Have you heard? The Word is Love [Because of course "the Word was with God and the Word was God" (Jn 1:1) and "God is Love" (1 Jn 4:8)]
It's so fine, it's sunshine, [Simeon proclaimed Christ, the Word, the "light to the revelation of the Gentiles and the glory of thy people Israel" Lk 2:32]
It's the Word -- Love

In the beginning, I misunderstood [As in a similar way did Saul of Tarsis who converted and became known as "Paul"]
But now I've got it: the Word is good! [Indeed, often in Scripture we find the phrase "O give thanks unto the Lord for he is good, for his mercy endureth forever" despite what Pseudo-Dionysius will say in his De divinis nominibus]

Spread the Word and you'll be free... etc

Everywhere I go, I hear it said ["Go ye therefore and make disciples of every nation..." etc; the speaker clearly attributes his own conversion to this phenomenon.]
In the good and the bad books that I have read [As reflected in Lumen Gentium, although outside its structure and visible bonds, there are many elements of sanctification to be found, though they are proper gifts of the Church; they subsists in the Roman Catholic Church and truth tends communion with it, and thus optimism in terms of ecumenism. If we believe in truth, the truth and holiness will lead people to the church. Deep stuff on Ecumenism, here...]

Say the Word and you'll be free... etc

Now that I know what I feel must be right, [clearly the speaker feels the workings of the Holy Spirit within him]
I'm here to show everybody the light [like St. John the Baptist who "was not the light, but was to give testimony of the light." (Jn 1:8)]

Give the Word a chance to say
That the Word is the the Way
It's the Word I'm thinking of
And the only Word is Love
It's so fine, it's sunshine,
It's the word -- Love

[The speaker closes with a final summary of his argument.]

Wow. Totally deep stuff there, man. Totally. What a grasp of early Christianity and the Gospel of John the speaker has.

I don't think people realize the Evangelizing Power the Beatles have. ;)
posted by Lauren, 9:51 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment